• From Right to Left: Weir House, Weir Studio, and Young Studio

    Weir Farm

    National Historic Site Connecticut

Weir Complex

Weir Complex Banner
Aerial photograph of the Weir Complex taken 03/10/2013
Thomas Brown
 

The Weir Complex covers around 10 acres of land at Weir Farm National Historic Site and includes historic buildings and an agricultural zone. For more information about the historic buildings and grounds, use the links below.

 

Weir House
Learn more about the historic Weir House and how it was transformed during the lives of the artists that lived and worked here.

 

Weir Studio
Dating back to 1885, the Weir Studio was built soon after Julian Alden Weir took possession of his Branchville farm. It would later be used by Dorothy Weir Young, Mahonri Young, Doris Andrews, and Sperry Andrews as a place of inspiration and creation.

 

Young Studio
When Mahonri Young moved to Weir Farm, following his marriage to Dorothy Weir in 1931, he would require a larger studio space than the Weir Studio afforded for his sculptural works. The Young Studio was built in 1932 to fill that need. It would later be used by the Andrews as their main studio.

 

Weir Barn
The Weir Barn pre-dates Julian Alden Weir ownership of his Branchville farm. However, he used the barn to house livestock and horses. Antiquated farm equipment, like plows and scythes, were once stored in the barn; which his caretakers used to maintain the agricultural fields.

 

Outbuildings and Agricultural Zones
Other buildings in the Weir Complex include: the corn crib, chicken coop, ice house, tool shed, tack house, and other structures. The agricultural areas include: fields, the Weir Orchard, and the Secret Garden.

Did You Know?