Weir House, Weir Studio, and Young Studio Under Restoration
The historic Weir House, Weir Studio, and Young Studio are currently undergoing restoration and are closed to the public. The Burlingham House Visitor Center and park grounds remain open and available during regular hours. More »
A Friendship Forged
1948 to 1957
National Park Service, Weir Farm National Historic Site
The Andrewses remained involved in the art scene in New York City, and one exhibition they attended in 1952 was a catalyst for a profound change in their lives. The exhibition was a Julian Alden Weir centennial at the American Society of Arts and Letters and the catalogue included an introduction by Mahonri M. Young, Weir's son-in-law and noted sculptor. By reading the catalogue, the Andrewses learned that Mahonri was in fact living in the Weir homestead in Ridgefield. Upon this realization that they were living in the same town, Sperry decided to call on Mr. Young. He was initially greeted a bit gruffly, since Mahonri assumed he wanted to fish on his pond, but from this first meeting a strong friendship would develop between Mahonri and the Andrews family. They frequently visited Mahonri and kept him company, painted with him in his studio and sketched the landscape of the farm. As Sperry relayed, whenever he wanted to see Mahonri or paint the grounds, he would go to the studio, call up and ask: "Are you busy?" Mahonri's invariable answer was: "I'm always busy, but come in anyway."
After the death of Mahonri in 1957, the Andrews family bought the house, studios, outbuildings, and enough land to protect the core of the farm. They did very little to alter the structures or the landscape, as they had the foresight to see that this was an important place to preserve. The house and studios especially retained much of their original character, filled with relics from the earlier occupants as well the artwork of Sperry and Doris themselves.
Did You Know?
Many famous artists have found inspiration at Weir Farm National Historic Site. Childe Hassam, Albert Pinkham Ryder, and John Twachtman have all painted on site. More...