Burlingham House Visitor Center Closed
Please note the visitor center is closed December 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014. Park grounds are open daily year-round from dawn to dusk. Maps, brochures, and the Passport to Your National Parks stamp are available on the porch of the visitor center.
Winter Weather Information
Although park grounds remain open in snowy weather, snow removal will be minimal and restrooms may be locked. Be aware and plan ahead, as trails and parking areas may not be cleared. Use caution if driving to the park, as road conditions may be hazardous.
National Park Service, Weir Farm National Historic Site
A cultural landscape is defined as "a geographic area, including both cultural and natural resources and the wildlife or domestic animals therein, associated with a historic event, activity, or person or exhibiting other cultural or aesthetic values" (NPS Historic Preservation Brief #36). Weir Farm National Historic Site is a significant cultural landscape, where the public can learn how people, painters, and farmers have interacted with the land, and how the land has impacted and influenced those who lived here for more than 200 years. The landscape has evolved through the use of Julian Alden Weir and his family; as well as use by the Young, Andrews, and Burlingham families.
Landscaping in the Truants' meadow would provide the artistic inspiration for Julian Alden Weir to paint The Truants (ca. 1896), the prize money from which Weir used to create a pond and stone channels on the property. Alterations to the Weir House in 1900 would accompany an artistically fueled redesign of the stone wall on the east side of Nod Hill Road. This wall would later be captured in J. Alden Weir's painting Return of the Fishing Party (1906). Julian Alden Weir and his friends - including Childe Hassam, John Twachtman, and Albert Pinkham Ryder - fell in love with the light and rural landscape to produce countless paintings or sketches of the area.
Did You Know?
Weir Farm National Historic Site is located in both Wilton and Ridgefield, Connecticut. The main house is located in Ridgefield and the visitor center is in Wilton.