OverviewIn this activity students will learn how archaeologists use stratigraphy to determine the relative age of artifacts.
Guiding Questions: What is stratigraphy? What is the law of superposition? How can archaeologists study stratigraphy to determine the age of archaeological objects?
Lesson Objectives: Students will...
- Explain what stratigraphy is.
- Describe the law of superposition.
- Understand how stratigraphy can be used to determine the age of archaeological objects.
See downloadable .pdf under the materials section.
- Background Information
- Layers of Time Activity and Questions
- Layers of Time Answer Key
Students will read background information and study the stratigraphy activity example.
To assess learning students will complete the questions in the Layers of Time activity.
This lesson plan was developed by Brian Crosby, archaeology graduate student at Northern Arizona University.