• Along the Washita - 1868 by Gene V. Dougherty

    Washita Battlefield

    National Historic Site Oklahoma

Operating Hours & Seasons

The Washita Battlefield National Historic Site Visitor Center is located one half mile west of Cheyenne, Oklahoma on Highway 47A. The visitor center is home to both the park's administrative offices and the U. S. Forest Service's Black Kettle National Grasslands.

Visitor Center: The visitor center is open 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm except Thanksgiving Day, December 25th, and January 1st. It houses a Western National Parks Association bookstore, an exhibit area depicting the clash of cultures leading to the attack, and a theatre where park visitors can enjoy the park's 27 minute film, Destiny at Dawn: Loss & Victory on the Washita.

Overlook and Trail: The overlook and trail are open daily from dawn to dusk. A walking trail down to the site of Chief Black Kettle's village begins at the overlook. This self-guided interpretive trail is approximately 1.5 miles, is unimproved, and is currently not ADA accessible. Near the overlook are two historical markers, a National Park Service wayside panel, and a granite monument commemorating the event. An engraved granite panel embedded in the pavilion, overlooks the village below and depicts Col. George Armstrong Custer's plan of attack. Also located at the overlook, visitors will find a restroom, a water fountain, and picnic tables. Ranger-led talks and tours will be held from the Memorial Day through the Labor Day weekends starting at the park overlook. The interpretive talks will be held in the mornings at 11 a.m. and in the afternoons at 3 p.m. The tours will be held at 10:00 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Did You Know?

Camp Supply 1869

Camp Supply, Indian Territory, was established November 1868, to support General Philip Sheridan's winter campaign against the Southern Plains Indians. Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and the 7th U.S. Cavalry left this camp to search for and engage "hostiles" reported to be in their winter camps along the Washita River. This historic post is located 13 miles north of Woodward, Oklahoma on Highway 183.