Parking Lot Repaving Project
The Visitor Center parking lot and the Overlook parking lots will be repaved on Monday, September 29. These areas will still be accessible to the public, however, traffic flow may change during the project. Please be aware during your visit.
Junior Ranger Day Program
Contact: Kathryn Harrison, 580-497-2742
Junior Ranger Day
Washita Battlefield National Historic Site
Saturday, April 20, 2013
10:00 Native Garden: How to make rope from a Yucca leaf with Ranger Teresa
11:00 Story-telling around the campfire: The Great Mystery Power and The Coyote-Minoma Littlehawk Sills
11:30 How to decorate your own unbrella the Cheyenne Way
12:00 Have your picture taken with Smokey Bear!
1:00 Native Garden: How to make rope from a Yucca leaf with Ranger Teresa
2:00 How to make a drum the Cheyenne Way
2:30 Story-telling around the campfire: The Hairy Toe- Minoma Littlehawk Sills
- Junior Ranger table: Earn your Junior Ranger Badge and Certificate and put together National Park Puzzles
- Walk the Dust and Fire Trail and take the Discovery Challenge
- Watch the park film, Destiny at Dawn (10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, and 2:30)
- Musical chairs to Songs for Junior Rangers and win a prize!
- Play the Washita National Wildlife Refuge Wii hunting game
- Outside: Visit Sgt. Smith and Private Martin and Dr. Rennick at the 7th Cavalry Field Tent
- Outside: Learn how to throw and atalatl
------FREE POPCORN ALL DAY------
Did You Know?
As Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and his men rode towards Black Kettle's camp, they endured four days of blizzard conditions. Several troopers were affected by the inclement weather, including field surgeons, Henry Lippincott and William Renicke, both of whom were stricken with snow blindness.