• Along the Washita - 1868 by Gene V. Dougherty

    Washita Battlefield

    National Historic Site Oklahoma

8-12-08 Town Hall Meeting

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: August 8, 2008

Washita Battlefield staff and Black Kettle National Historic Site Staff with Congressman Frank Lucas
Pictured left to right: Park Rangers Dick Zahm, Drew Hughes, Chief of Interpretation Dave Schafer, Superintendent Wendy Lauritzen, Congressman Frank Lucas, USDA District Ranger Tom Smeltzer, and Rangeland Management Specialist Chuck Milner. 
Park Photo

Congressman Lucas’s Town Hall
Meeting at Washita Battlefield NHS

Washita Battlefield National Historic Site and USDA Black Kettle National Grasslands held a joint open house reception following Congressman Frank Lucas’s Town Hall meeting held in the shared agency Visitor Center and agency headquarters in Cheyenne, Oklahoma on Friday August 8, 2008.  Thirty-two community members attended the Town Hall meeting.  This was the first Town Hall meeting held in the new facility with both agencies having moved into the building in the past year.  Congressman Lucas had secured the funds that made the construction of the joint facility possible.  One of the functional designs of the building was to provide meeting space for park and grassland operations along with opportunities to broaden community service.  Congressman Lucas’s Town Hall was the first in these opportunities.

Did You Know?

Camp Supply 1869

Camp Supply, Indian Territory, was established November 1868, to support General Philip Sheridan's winter campaign against the Southern Plains Indians. Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and the 7th U.S. Cavalry left this camp to search for and engage "hostiles" reported to be in their winter camps along the Washita River. This historic post is located 13 miles north of Woodward, Oklahoma on Highway 183.