The St. John Historical Society has a small museum located at the Battery (Offices of the Governor), just a short walk from the Visitors Center.
The Park’s Visitor Center in Cruz Bay offers an exhibit depicting both natural and cultural resources. One may learn about the terrestrial as well as submerged lands. Examples of reef fishes and coral are on display.
Other panels depict the cultural history – from the earliest inhabitants to the subsistence era. Visitors are able to view artifacts from the pre-Columbian Tainos, tools used to harvest sugarcane during the late 1700’s and early 1800’s sugar production era, and examples of objects that became essential for survival after slavery emancipation.
Once in Cinnamon Bay, visitors may visit the archeology lab (a converted sugar factory warehouse) and see the artifacts recovered from the nearby dig. If planning a visit, please call to ascertain the building is open.
Did You Know?
One of the smallest lizards on St. John is the Dwarf Gecko. This tiny, inch-long reptile is native to the island, while many of the other geckos arrived on sailing ships in the 17th century. Dwarf Geckos feed on insects in the forest during the day, while most other geckos are nocturnal feeders.