8th Indiana Infantry
Monument is located on Clay Street across from the main entrance to Vicksburg National Military Park. Also a position marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located 300' south of Clay Street and 140' east of Melborn Place; position markers designating sharpshooter's lines of 23 May - 4 July 1863 located in front of the Visitor's Center & 18 June - 4 July 1863 located on the east end of the Anshe Chesed Jewish Cemetery and a position marker designating the camp site located on the south side of Clay Street opposite the Visitor's Center.
This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. William P. Benton, Col. Henry D. Washburn (assumed command 31 May 1863) & Col. David Shunk's (assumed command 27 June 1863) 1st Brigade of Brig. Gen. Eugene A. Carr's 14th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand (relieved of command 19 June 1863) & Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps and was commanded by Col. David Shunk & Maj. Thomas J. Brady (assumed command 31 May 1863).
Did You Know?
Vicksburg National Military Park was the last of the first five National Military Parks established by the Congress of the United States during the last quarter of the 19th century.