26th Indiana Infantry
Please note: There is no public access to this monument.
A multiple monument is located outside of Vicksburg National Military Park on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, at Iowa Circle which is south of Interstate 20 and modern Iowa Avenue.
Also a marker designating a sharpshooter's line is in storage and cannot be relocated to South Washington Street between South Fort and Navy Circle, a marker designating a sharpshooter's line which is in storage cannot be returned to its proper position due to the Interstate 20 right-of-way, and a marker designating the camp site is placed in storage and cannot be returned to its position on modern Iowa Avenue due to the Interstate 20 overpass. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. William Vandever's 1st Brigade of Maj. Gen. Francis J. Herron's unattached Division, Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's Army of the Tennessee and was commanded by Col. John G. Clark.
Did You Know?
The civilians of Vicksburg endured their first naval bombardment of the Civil War during the summer of 1862?