• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

1st Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery

1st Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery Regimental Marker

1st Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery Regimental Marker

NPS Photo

Monument located on Union Avenue at the second turn past Park Tour Stop #15. Also, iron tablets located on Indiana Avenue and in Maloney Circle west of the old railroad bridge along Old Hwy 27. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Peter J. Osterhaus' 9th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand's (relieved of command 19 June 1863) and Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps and commanded by Lt. Oscar F. Nutting. [Refer to pages 468, 471, 495, 574 and 584, Volume 2 of the WPA Monumentation Survey Books.]
 
Battery Tablets
 
1st Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery Tablets
1st Battery Wisconsin Light Artillery Tablets
NPS Photos

Did You Know?

Old Douglas Headstone, Cedar Hill Cemetery

The 43d Mississippi Infantry's mascot, Douglas the Camel, remained with the regiment until Vicksburg where he was killed by Union sharpshooters. Douglas is honored with his own grave marker in Vicksburg's Cedar Hill Cemetery.