12th Missouri Infantry
Monument designating a sharpshooters' line located on the north side of Union Avenue, approximately 1 mile west of Thayer's Approach (Park Tour Stop #6). Also a multiple monument located on Union Avenue 0.2 miles west of the Navy Memorial (Park Tour Stop #7), and a monument designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located on Confederate Avenue near the head of Thayer's Approach (Park Tour Stop #6). This unit was attached to Col. Charles R. Woods' 2d Brigade of Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele's and Brig. Gen. John M. Thayer's 1st Division, of Maj. Gen'ls William T. Sherman's and Frederick Steele's XV Army Corps, and commanded by Col. Hugo Wangelin. During the assault of 22 May 1863, the regiment lost the following officers: Maj. Gustavus Lightfoot, Capt. Christian Andel, Lt. Charles L. Kasten, and Lt. George Eggert.
Did You Know?
Thomas O. Selfridge, captain of the USS Cairo, commanded three boats which sank during the war. Each began with the letter "C"-Cumberland, Cairo, and Conestoga. The coincidence was noted after the Conestoga sank, and Selfridge was assigned to the USS Osage, which survived to the end of the war.