3 - The
Rock Creek Station first
opened on January 10, 1971, and utilized the area under
the stage of the Carter Barron Amphitheatre. The
Station moved several times during its early years, from
the Bureau of Standards building located at Connecticut
Avenue and Van Ness Streets to trailers located on Stage
Road near the Carter Barron Amphitheatre. In 1976,
the Station moved into its current location on Beach Drive,
just south of Joyce Road.
officers at the Rock Creek Station responsibilities include special
events at the Carter Barron Amphitheatre (since 1951) and the
Rock Creek Tennis Stadium, which sponsors a major annual international
tennis tournament. Other annual events include African
Liberation Day in Meridian Hill Park, many large picnics, and
a variety of foot races.