The Baltimore-Washington Parkway Station was
established in 1953 when the United States Park Police began
patrolling the partially completed Baltimore-Washington Parkway.
The Parkway originally stretched from Route 175 to Route
197 until its completion, reaching the District of Columbia
line. The Greenbelt Station was the first decentralized district
in the Washington metropolitan area because of its distance
from Headquarters where, prior to its establishment, Park
Police officers reported to duty.
1954 to the early 1960ís, the Greenbelt Station was located in
the East Pines Esso (Exxon) gas station in Riverdale, Maryland.
It later moved to the Gatehouse on the grounds of the USDA Agricultural
Research Center. In 1963, the Greenbelt Station was built at the
entrance to Greenbelt Park and in 1986, the Station was fully renovated
to better serve the needs of a full service police facility. The
Greenbelt Station celebrated its 50th year of service
to the public in 2003.
Greenbelt Station provides police services to not only the Baltimore-Washington
Parkway and Greenbelt Park, but also to other Federal Reservations
in Prince Georgeís and Anne Arundel counties to include the Agricultural
Research Center, NASA/Goddard space flight center and other government