Carver Museum Closed for Renovation -- The Oaks Open for Tours
Starting August 1, 2012, the Carver Museum will be closed for renovation until Fall 2013. Oaks tours are available Monday-Saturday 9:00, 10:30, 1:00, 2:30, and 4:00 CST. Due to the sequester, effective March 10, 2013 the park is closed on Sundays.
Location: Tuskegee University campus - John A. Kenney Hall
Time: 10:00 AM to 12:00 PMFee Information: FreeContact Name: Shirley BaxterContact Email:e-mail usContact Phone Number: 334-727-3200
Join Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site and Tuskegee University Archives as they commemorate the 100th anniversary of the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital on July 20th at 10:00 a.m. The program will appropriately be held at Tuskegee University’s John A. Kenney Hall which housed the original hospital and Infantile Paralysis Center. John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital was dedicated in 1913 and was the result of a gift of Mrs. Charles Mason of Boston, the wife of a Tuskegee Institute Trustee. The building was named in memory of her grandfather, Governor John A. Andrew of Massachusetts.
To help us commemorate this anniversary, both Louis Rabb and Linda Kenney Miller will provide remarks on the history of the Hospital.
Louis (Mike) Rabb, the first administrator of the John Andrew Hospital, holds the distinct honor as the first African American hospital administrator in the country. As a student at Tuskegee, Rabb met George Washington Carver, Charles Gomillion, P.H. Polk and Robert Russa Moton. After graduation from Tuskegee Institute, he received a sponsorship from Tuskegee Institute to pursue a M. A. degree in personnel administration (1942) from Columbia University. Tuskegee also sponsored his Masters in Health Administration degree from Northwestern University in 1948.
Linda Kenney Miller, the granddaughter of Dr. John A. Kenney, will speak on Dr. Kenney’s many accomplishments. Dr. Kenney came to Tuskegee in 1902 and served as a personal physician to both Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver. He was also the Director and Surgeon-in-Chief of the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital and School of Nurses until 1922. Kenney overcame incredible odds, including poverty, illiteracy and death threats from the Ku Klux Klan to become one of the most important physicians of his day. Linda Kenney Miller, the author of the book Beacon on the Hill, wrote the book to pay tribute to this remarkable individual.
We would like to invite anyone who was born at the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital to take part in a group photograph to be taken in front of the current building.
This event is FREE and open to the public. For more information, call (334) 727-3200.