A banner image showing five photos of various NPS transportation scenes  
  Menu Javascript Download by Vista-Buttons.com 4.1.1  
 
Image: Shadowed separation bar
HOME
 
QUICKLINKS



Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • iTunes
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

  •  

     

     

     

    NPS Transportation Program Activities

    The professionals who manage the NPS Transportation Program are the custodians of a vast transportation system that includes approximately 5,450 miles of paved roads, 4,100 miles of unpaved roads, 1,414 bridges, 63 Tunnels and 110 alternative transportation systems (e.g., buses, trolleys, ferries and trams).

    Roadways and bridges provide critical access to and within the parks, increasing park visitor enjoyment and safety, but also providing travel routes for thousands of commuters, business travelers, park vendors, and the general public.

    The transportation infrastructure represents an enormous financial value; the system of paved roads and bridges alone represent a Federal investment of more than $20 billion dollars. And that investment must be protected by continued maintenance.

    As an example, in fiscal year 2007, the NPS transportation program coordinated, scheduled, and tracked a $225 million dollar construction program, with 320 projects in 116 parks, in seven regions and 42 states. With the support of its transportation partner, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the NPS transportation program in 2007 rehabilitated and reconstructed 97 miles of roadway, achieving a 99 percent obligation rate of program funds. Actual construction (e.g., paving roads and rehabilitating bridges) constituted 75 percent of the total expenditures from the Federal Lands Transportation Program (FLTP). The remaining 25 percent was for design, environmental compliance, planning and administration.