The devastation wrought by the Civil War had one positive result. In 1865 a few concerned citizens, former members of the Freemen's Bureau and the Christian Commission, received permission from the War Department to use two of the Camp Hill Armory residences as classrooms for the education of freed African-Americans.
John Storer, a Maine businessman, offered $10,000 for the establishment of a college or normal school without restriction as to race or color. In 1867, Storer College was granted a charter by the West Virginia legislature. One year later, Congress deeded the majority of Camp Hill and the four remaining Armory residences to the new college.
For the next century, Storer College flourished, annually graduating an average of 150 young men and women. The faculty and student body were racially mixed until the end of World War I. The growing demand by African-Americans for space at the school caused the administration to encourage potential white students to attend other insititutions not open to African Americans.
Enrollment declined after the 1954 Desegregation Act and in 1955 Storer College closed. The buildings on the old campus, including Anthony Hall, Cook Hall Dormitory, and the college chapel, cafeteria, and the library remained empty for the next few years.
In 1962, the National Park Service began looking for a location for a new training institute. The buildings at Storer College were acquired. Several of the older, more deteriorated structures were removed and the rest of the buildings were extensively renovated or restored. The Stephen T. Mather Training Center, named in honor of the first Director of the National Park Service, was officially dedicated in 1964 to continue the tradition of higher education on Camp Hill.
The Mather Training Center campus is composed of two main structures. Wirth Hall (once Storer College's Anthony Hall) is named for former National Park Service Director Conrad Wirth and houses the classrooms and administrative offices. Storer's Cook Hall Dormitory is used as offices for NPS staff and the new Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) practice studio. Other buildings on the campus are shared by Mather and the Harpers Ferry Center (HFC). The HFC is responsible for the development and production of interpretive media throughout the National Park System. The Anthony Library, formerly the Storer College library, houses reference materials for students and researchers.
The courses offered by Mather Training Center are open to employees of the National Park Service and occasionally outside participants.