For over a century, museums have been an integral part of America's national parks. From modest beginnings in 1904 to today's state-of-the-art park museums and visitor centers, visitors have encountered engaging museums in units of the National Park Service. Museum collections are acquired through donation, field collections (such as research collecting or archeological projects), transfer, purchase, exchange or incoming loan. A Scope of Collection statement is written for each park to spell out what museum items are desired and appropriate, and what is not appropriate, for the park.
National Park Service museum collections are used in a variety of ways. In keeping with the Service's public trust responsibilities, most uses of collections are educational. The primary uses are:
The Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve museum collection currently contains over 270,000 items. This includes archeological objects, history objects, natural history specimens (primarily a herbarium collection), archives and photographs. Finding aids are available for selected collections in the museum archives. Cataloging of the collections is still in progress. The Museum Curator coordinates cataloging and preservation of specimens and data collected under research permits and ARPA (Archeological Resources Protection Act) permits issued in the Timucuan Preserve. All specimens collected inside the park are the property of the U.S. Government and become part of the museum collection. All collectors have curatorial responsibilities for the specimens and data collected. Museum collections are available to researchers for study, per the museum access and use policy. Researchers interested in learning more about the Timucuan museum collections should contact the Museum Curator.
Did You Know?
The flag that flies over Fort Caroline is a sixteenth century French flag with “fleur de lis” heraldic symbols in gold on a blue background. The "fleur de lis" is an unoffical symbol of France. More...