When the Rollins family moved to Fort George Island in 1869, they moved into the plantation house and renamed the complex "The Homestead." Over the next two decades, they made significant changes to the main house and kitchen house, and added a walkway in between.
John Rollins attempted several agricultural enterprises - grapes and oranges - both of which failed. He then turned to recreation, ushering in a new era on the island, finding families to buy pieces of the island, and backers for a hotel.
Proceed to Hotel and Clubs.