• A water drop clings onto the edge of a orange stalactite, surrounded by white stalactites.

    Timpanogos Cave

    National Monument Utah

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Caves closed for the season

    Timpanogos Cave National Monument caves, cave trail, and visitor center are closed for the season. Caves are scheduled to open again mid-May 2015.

Explorers, Trappers and Mapmakers

 Portrait of John C. Fremont, sepia toned.

John C. Fremont portrait. He led his first mapping expedition along the Wasatch Front in May of 1844.

Library of Congress

While the Ute people flourished in the valley, Priests Fray Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Fray Silvestre Velez de Escalante became the first recorded European explorers to enter Utah Valley in 1776. The priests recognized the natural richness of the area and recorded in their journal the promising future that this valley would offer for settlements.

In 1820, fur trappers arrived, though they soon moved north as beaver became scarce by 1830. As more people began to travel through Utah, John C. Fremont led his first mapping expedition along the Wasatch Front in May of 1844. Fremont's records, as well as those from other trappers and explorers, prepared the way for settlement in Utah Valley.

 

Did You Know?

people hiking the cave trail

To tour Timpanogos Cave, our 70,000 visitors each year must hike the 1 1/2 miles trail to the caves, gaining over 1,100 feet in elevation.