• The setting sun over the Flint Hills casts shadows across the wide expanse of tallgrass prairie.

    Tallgrass Prairie

    National Preserve Kansas

Land Transfer Ceremony

On September 20, 2002 the National Park Trust donated 32.5 acres to the National Park Service. This area includes the core area of the Spring Hill Ranch headquarters including the 1881 limestone ranch house, three-story limestone barn and outbuildings, and one-room Lower Fox Creek School. This is the first of future property transfers to the National Park Service. As stated in Public Law 104-333 the National Park Service "shall acquire, by donation, not more than 180 acres of real property within the boundaries of the preserve."
Following are photos from this special day.

 
land transfer ceremony
National Park Trust symbolically handing over the key to the property to the National Park Service.
 
land transfer ceremony
National Park Trust members and National Park Service former superintendent Steve Miller pose with the Land Transfer Limestone Plaque created to mark the occasion.
 
land transfer ceremony
Historic buildings officially donated to the National Park Service on September 20, 2002.

Did You Know?