Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve offers many opportunities for learning. Call the preserve at 620-273-8494 to schedule any of the following natural and cultural activities and tours. All programs are curriculum-based and free of charge.
- House, Barn, and Trail School tour - A two-hour guided tour of the ranch headquarters and schoolhouse areas. Group is divided into manageable size groups and rotated through the house, barn, school, and trail, while learning about the natural and cultural features of the preserve.
- 1880s Spring Hill Ranch Community - Meet the historic characters of the ranch and learn about their individual responsibilities and daily activities. This 2.5-hour program includes a cowboy saddling his horse, a rock fence builder, one-room school teacher, a ranch woman cooking, and a tour of the 1881 ranch house. Groups rotate stations to the clanging sound of a dinner triangle. Program is best suited for large groups of 100 - 150 students rotating between six different stations.
- Looking Small...Thinking Big! - An entire world is waiting to be uncovered right at your fingertips. Using a jeweler's loupe or magnifying glass, students develop keen observation techniques and thinking skills, as they creatively describe and draw what they see as they observe small and think BIG! This two-hour program takes place on the Southwind Nature Trail, but can take place anywhere as students observe the world around them.
- Bus tour into the prairie - For grades 7 - high school, enjoy a one-hour bus tour of the tallgrass prairie and one-hour tour of the ranch headquarters area.
- Education Days at the Lower Fox Creek School - Students attend a full day of classes in an authentic one-room schoolhouse. Grades 2 - 4 will hike the prairie and learn 19th-century lessons. Children dress in historic costume and eat a sack lunch provided by the individual school districts. Program offered a limited amount of days in April, so call ahead to schedule. Curriculum-based education manuals available for download. Follow link above for more information.
- Traveling Trunks Program - Follow link for more information.