• Bombs bursting in air over Baltimore in 1813

    War of 1812

Places of the War of 1812

Places from Places of the War of 1812

Showing results 1-5 of 9

  • Castle Williams

    Drawing of Castle Williams: a round fort on the edge of the water

    During the War of 1812, New York City had become one of the most heavily fortified cities in the country. Its plan of defense was designed by engineer Colonel Jonathan Williams. Named after him was Castle Williams, completed in 1811. This circular fortress made of red sandstone stood watch in New York harbor on Governors Island, near Brooklyn and Manhattan. But would it work to defend this important American city? Read more

  • Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

    Chalmette Battlefield

    7th infantry firing at a Battle of New Orleans commemoration

    Just downriver from New Orleans in Chalmette is the site of the January 8, 1815, Battle of New Orleans: Chalmette Battlefield. Read more

  • Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

    Fazendeville

    Large crowds of cars and people in foreground, houses of Fazendeville in background

    When the smoke of the battle cleared, and the bodies returned to the earth, life went on at the site of the Battle of New Orleans. The land changed hands a number of times, by 1870 belonging to free man of color and grocer of New Orleans Jean-Pierre Fazende. He subdivided it into 33 lots and sold off the swampy, unappealing land to eager buyers: former slaves and free people of color following the Civil War. And so, Fazendeville war born. Read more

  • President's Park (White House)

    Octagon House

    Octagon House, early 1800s townhouse in Washington, D.C.

    When the British invaded Washington and burned public buildings in August 1814, the White House was destroyed, a a new home for the First Family was needed. Upon Dolley and James Madison's return to Washington a few weeks later, Colonel John Tayloe offered the use of his home to President and First Lady Madison for a temporary "Executive Mansion." Read more

  • Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

    Place d'Armes (Jackson Square)

    Jackson Square, New Orleans, Louisiana

    What today is known as Jackson Square, at the heart of New Orleans' French Quarter, was known in the 19th century as the Place d'Armes -- the traditional town square where important ceremonies and parades were held. During the New Orleans campaign of the War of 1812, American Major General Andrw Jackson made use of the square that would later bear his name. Read more