Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

Mount Clare

Mount Clare was built over 250 years ago on a hill overlooking the Patapsco River and Baltimore, MD, by Charles Carroll, Barrister. Today it is surrounded by the 30-acre Carroll Park; but it was once the hub of an agricultural plantation of 800 acres and one of the largest industrial complexes in America, the Baltimore Iron Works. Over 200 enslaved African Americans worked for Carroll at the Baltimore Iron Works or at the Mount Clare plantation. In the last half of the 18thc, there are at least 4 documented instances of freedom seekers escaping from these sites. MD's enslaved individuals had an uncommonly good setting for attempting escapes. For the Carroll's enslaved workforce an escape route via Baltimore was literally at their back door, only 5 miles distant. Baltimore's location, just over 40 miles from PA induced many freedom seekers to travel there in an effort to make their way to the free states. Many others stayed, finding employment in the businesses and industries in the city and shelter with Baltimore's large free African American community.

Visitor Information: Currently open to public.

Location: 1500 Washington Blvd., Baltimore, 21230

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Jane Woltereck

Location Type: Site

People/Organizations Associated with the site: Charles Carroll (Owner),Margaret Carroll (Owner)

UGRR Operatives: Frederick Douglass,Harriet Tubman