brick building built in the 1830’s in Fairhaven, Ohio. The building is one of Ohio’s most intact representations of “pike town” architecture closely associated with pre-Civil War, horse powered turnpike transportation and lodging. The building served a multitude of uses in the 19th century including: hotel, restaurant, tavern, stagecoach stop, general store, post office, station on the Underground Railroad and home to Gabriel “Old Gabe” Smith, a former slave and conductor on the Underground Railroad. The building is located on five acres on the banks of the Four Mile Creek and adjacent to the old Hamilton-Fairhaven-Richmond Turnpike. This turnpike, built in the 1830’s-1840’s, was the major route between Cincinnati and Richmond, Indiana, when the Northwest Territory was being settled and was a well known route on the Underground Railroad between Cincinnati and Fountain City, Indiana, where Levi Coffin, President of the Underground Railroad, lived for many years. Runaway slaves would travel up the Four Mile Creek and enter the back of the Bunker Hill Tavern for refuge as they journeyed toward Canada and freedom.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 7919 State Route 177, Camden, Ohio, 45311
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Walter D. and Marion Mast
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Gabriel “Old Gabe” Smith