The Denmark Congregational Church in Denmark, Iowa, organized in 1838, is the oldest Congregational Church west of the Mississippi River. Part of the current building was constructed in 1845. The New England Congregationalists who settled Denmark called Reverend Asa Turner from Quincy, Illinois, to be their minister. Turner was well known there for his anti-slavery activities. From the beginning, the church and its members actively worked against slavery. Church records from March 22, 1856 state "it has been the habit of the church since the first, to hold also on the last Sabbath evening of each month, a prayer meeting in behalf of the slave and a collection frequently to assist in the deliverance of the same." Documentation and local tradition have church members actively involved in the Underground Railroad. The first Anti-Slavery Society in Iowa was established here on January 1, 1840, by church members and Reverend Turner. This early and continuing role established the Denmark Congregational Church as the leader in the anti-slavery movement in Eastern Iowa.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 401 Academy Avenue, PO Box 230, Denmark, 52624
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Denmark Congregational Churc
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Congregational