Text    Click for small text size. Click for medium text size. Click for large text size.         Click to share this page.     Click to print the page.   GO »

Member Details

< Return to Search Results

Lyman Hoyt House

Lyman Hoyt House, an active station on the Underground Railroad was operated by the owner, Lyman Hoyt. Lyman and wife Asenath Whipple Hoyt moved from Vermont to Lancaster, Indiana, in 1830 to join James Nelson and his wife Lucy Whipple Nelson that came to Lancaster, Indiana in 1820 from Vermont. Dr. Samuel Tibbets and wife Susanna Coombs Tibbets moved to Lancaster, Indiana in 1830 from Clermont County Ohio, had previously lived in Vermont. These three families brought children with these moves and marriages occurred to link these families. John H. Tibbets married Sarah Ann Nelson Tibbets making John a nephew of Lyman Hoyt. This provided the trust for this group to work the Underground Railroad routes without getting caught. This group of families had similar backgrounds and beliefs of "freedom" being available for all races. Lyman was one of the main conductors in Lancaster, Indiana from 1830 to 1856. The Hoyts had the first black student to enter Eleutherian College living in their home. Lyman hid runaway freedom seekers in his barn loft and a cave near his home and gave his clothing, food and transportation in his wagons to the next station.

Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.

Location: 7147 West State Road 250, Madison, 47250

National Park Unit: No

Ownership: Historic Eleutherian College, Inc.

Location Type: Site

UGRR Operatives: Lyman Hoyt