William Willis was one of the earliest Quaker settlers of York County. In 1755 he superintended the construction of the first York Courthouse. He also became one of the founders of the Friends meeting house on Philadelphia Street in York. He built his house and barn off the southwest property of Prospect Hill Cemetery in 1767. William's son, Samuel Willis became one of the leaders in the Underground Railroad. He resided in his parent's homestead and hid slaves in the barn or in the rows of the cornfields. The pursuit at one time became so threatening that the fugitives were hidden in corn shocks until it was safe to move to more secure concealment. Samuel eventually went on to serve as a private in the Civil War.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 135 Willis Run Road, York, 17404
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Sandy Geiselman
Location Type: Site