The founders of Historic Eleutherian College were active in the Underground Railroad as conductors, safe houses and couriers. Eleutherian College was formed in the 1848-49 school year for the purpose of educating all students that came to them regardless of race or gender. The founders operated a station on the Underground Railroad, which was known as the "New England Settlement" by George De Baptiste, who was a well known Underground Railroad conductor living in Madison, Indiana and later Detroit, Michigan. The founders formed the "Neil's Creek Anti-Slavery Society" which operated from 1839 to 1845. According to their constitution, their objective in Article 2 was, "the entire abolition of slavery in the United States", and their objective in Article 3 was, "the Society shall aim to elevate the character and condition of the people of color, by encouraging their intellectual, moral and religious improvement". The founders started a church named the "Anti-Slavery Baptist Church" that worshipped in the chapel of the Eleutherian College. Historic Eleutherian College, Inc.'s mission is to preserve this National Historic Landmark and Civil War site in order to teach the history to future generations.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 6927 W. State Road 250, Madison, 47250
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Lynda Jae Breitweiser
Location Type: Site