In August 1863, Camp Stanton was established in Benedict, MD, for the purposes of recruiting and training African American men for the Union Army. The 7th, 9th, 19th and 30th Colored Infantries were formed and trained at Camp Stanton. Existing muster and bounty rolls for the 7th Regiment reveal name, former owner, date of enrollment and the place of origin for the soldiers. The site is now owned by the Maryland Department of Resources. Current interpretation includes an African American heritage paddling trail along the Patuxent River. Information is available via the internet at www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/aapaxstanton
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: South side Rt 231, Benedict, Charles, 20646
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Maryland DNR Ross Kimmel
Location Type: Site