Built in 1815 in the Quaker Hill neighborhood of Wilmington as the center for worship in the city for members of the Religious Society of Friends, the Wilmington Friends Meeting House is the building that best represents the well documented contributions of the members of the Religious Society of Friends to the Underground Railroad. In the early decades of the 19th century, abolitionist members used the law to assist freedom seekers through the acting committee of the Delaware Abolition Society. Thomas Garrett, the well known station master who assisted over 2700 freedom seekers on their journey, lived nearby, worshiped here, and is buried in the cemetery. Isaac Flint, a member of this congregation, purchased the freedom of a conductor on the Underground Railroad and free African American, Samuel D. Burris, when he was sentenced to servitude for assisting a freedom seeker in Kent County. We are still learning the history of the participants in the Underground Railroad in Wilmington but it is clear that this building provided opportunity and forum for those interested members to work to assist freedom seekers on their journey through Delaware to freedom.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 401 N.West Street, Wilmington, 19801
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Paulette de La Veaux
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Isaac Flint (Owner)
Freedom Seekers: Samuel D. Burris
UGRR Operatives: Thomas Garrett
Religious Denominations: Quaker