The Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn, New York, adopted home of Harriet Tubman (1812-1913), was for many years an asylum for the needy, the oppressed and unfortunate, irrespective of nationality. Her formal residency at this site begins around 1858. Harriet Tubman led her parents out of slavery to a growing black community in St. Catherine, Ontario. The severe Canadian winters were too much for her aged parents to bear and the Auburn site was also safe from slave- kidnappers. Tubman resided here with her parents, other relatives, and many sojourners on the freedom trail. Harriet Tubman acquired the initial 7+ acres for $1200.00 from William Seward , a fellow abolitionist. In 1895, Tubman acquired an adjacent property to the north for the purpose of establishing a home for the aged. This property was deeded to the A.M.E. Zion Church in 1903. Her residence and the original 7+ acres was willed to her surviving descendants in 1913. A year later, this property was sold to a local family. In 1990, the A.M.E. Zion Church acquired the property. Harriet Tubman spent over fifty years in Auburn, surviving many of her fellow abolitionists. Unlike many engaged in the abolition cause, Tubman remained committed to social activism and was concerned with the welfare of fellow former enslaved persons. Her residence often served as a way station for escaping slaves in route to Canada.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 180 South Street, Auburn, 13021
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Ward DeWitt
Location Type: Site