The Lucius Read House is part of the Byron Museum District. This Greek Revival style home was constructed in 1843 and, following a century of use as a residence, became a restaurant in 1945. A group of local business leaders, aware of the site’s historical significance, purchased the building in 1988 and began to restore the home to its original appearance. In 1990, the site became part of the first Museum District in Illinois. Following a decade of site development, including the acquisition of addition property, the Museum District has begun to focus on the history of the site’s connections to the Underground Railroad. Currently, group tours of the site include a narrative presentation about the Read family’s abolitionist views and activities in the Underground Railroad. An exhibit is currently in development, which will detail the Read family’s involvement in the Congregational Church and the Underground Railroad. Open year-round and operating with regular business hours. The Byron Museum District is comprised of the Lucius Read House and Byron Museum of History. The District is dedicated to the historic, cultural and commercial development of the Byron area through commitment to preservation, resource management and display of historical artifacts for public benefit.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 101 W. Blackhawk, Byron, 61010
Website: Lucius Read House
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Dawn Johnson Executive Director
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Charles Tanner,Lucius Read,Rev. George Gammell
Religious Denominations: Congregational