The Bloomingburg Presbyterian Church was the center of both anti-slavery and Underground Railroad activity in the village of Bloomingburg, Fayette County, Ohio. The physical structure served as a meeting place of stalwart abolitionists, while the congregation of worshipers included a number of Underground Railroad operatives, several of whom were prominent in the church’s leadership. This included the church’s pastor, Rev. William Dickey, and church trustees and elders William Ustick, James Stewart, and Dr. Gillespie. Letters to Wilbur Siebert from several contemporary local men confirm these men’s association with the Underground Railroad. Sometime prior to 1856, the Bloomingburg Presbyterian Church was acted by an anti-slavery mob for the perceived involvement of the congregation. Today the congregation still worships in the original building, and is proud of the church’s strong heritage respecting social justice.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 27 Wayne Street, Bloomingburg, 43106
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Bloomingburg Presbyterian Church
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Presbyterian