This site marks the office of The Philanthropist Newspaper published by James G. Birney. The Philanthropist was an outspoken opponent of slavery and the official paper of the Ohio Anti-slavery Society. It was threatened with destruction numerous times during the four months it was published in New Richmond. The citizens of New Richmond formed a vigilance committee to patrol the streets to protect the office when it was threatened by outsiders. The paper moved to Cincinnati in April 1836. The office and presses were destroyed on July 30, 1836. The paper opened again shortly afterward.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: Lot 33 B & C, 100 Block of Willow Sreet, New Richmond, 45157
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: James and Shanna Moriarty
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: James G. Birney