The Dr. John Doy homesite, today about three miles northwest of downtown Lawrence, Kansas was part of the original 160 acre tract where abolitionist, John Doy settled in October 1854 as part of the New England Emigrant Aid Company. Doy was called the “General Conductor” of the UGRR in the Lawrence area. On this property he lived in a log structure with family from 1854-1860. In 1999 the remains of a foundation, a limestone well and a cistern were discovered in a wooded part of the original tract by a neighborhood boy. Although no documentation has been found about UGRR activity on the property, there is ample documentation—including his own book published in 1860—of Doy’s UGRR activity. He was captured in January 1859 while taking 13 Blacks north on the UGRR. His daring rescue from the St. Joseph, Missouri jail by “The Immortal Ten” was reported nationally. In 2001, a pedestrian archeological survey of the Doy property was done. Although much of the former quarter-section of the Doy property has been developed, the ruins, some of the woods and a small creek still remain. The Underground Railroad Association of Douglas County hopes to have further archeological evaluation of the property.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 2 undeveloped platted lots at E end of, Sherwood Drive, Lawrence, 66049
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Cheer Pole LLC c/o Don Funk
Location Type: Site