The Henry Harvey farmstead is the site of Ann and Henry Harvey’s log cabin constructed in 1854 shortly after the creation Kansas Territory. Corroborating written reminiscences preserved in the Kansas State Historic Society and the Wabaunsee County Historical Society and local oral history provide evidence of the Homestead’s role in the Underground Railroad in the mid-nineteenth century. The Harvey family were members of the Society of Friends and life-long anti-slavery proponents. Members of their extended family had been active in the URR in Ohio. Ann and Henry also served as Quaker missionaries to the Shawnee Tribe, helping them get established in Kansas. Their son George Madden Harvey filed the first claim in Richardson County, Kansas Territory on the adjoining property. Evidence suggests he lived with his parents. The Harvey home was a station on the URR and sons George and Samuel are thought to have been conductors. There is also evidence that their grandson Al was involved. The Harvey log cabin existed until ca. 1900 when the present vernacular frame house was constructed. The farmstead continues to operate as a working farm in what remains essentially a nineteenth century landscape.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 10475 Walton Road, Harveyville, 66431
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Richard Thompson
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Quaker