The Captain William Mitchell Farmhouse is a well-preserved vernacular structure that began its existence as a log cabin in the late spring of 1856. Captain Mitchell built it with the help of the newly arrived members of the Connecticut-Kansas Colony, later called the Beecher Bible and Rifle Colony. Inspired by Horace Greeley, Eli Thayer and other anti-slavery proponents this emigrant colony had been organized in New Haven, CT by Charles Lines for the purpose of insuring Kansas’ entry into the Union as a non-slave or free state. Not long after the colonists had erected their own shelters they began sheltering and assisting freedom seekers escaping from Missouri, Arkansas and Texas. Captain Mitchell was one of the most active URR participants in the settlement, acting as both stationmaster and conductor. His father William Mitchell Sr. and his sister Agnes joined him from Connecticut and it was Agnes who no doubt cooked for their guests. The structure has been continuously occupied since 1856. Over the years additions have been made and the log cabin is now the living room of the present house.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 288831 Mt. Mitchell Road, Wamego, 66547
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Morris and Michelle Crissler
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Beecher Bible and Rifle Church