Alexandria Freedmen's Cemetery was established at the urging of Rev. Albert Gladwin, the civilian Superintendent of Contrabands. Brigadier General John P. Slough, Alexandria's Military Governor, seized a parcel on South Washington Street and established a cemetery for former slaves. The 1999-2000 test excavations by the cultural resources management firm, URS Geiner Woodward Clyde, unearthed evidence of nearly 60 graves. An earlier ground penetrating radar survey by another firm indicated the presence of many burials beneath a gas station parking lot. Many of those buried were "Contrabands", enslaved people fleeing to Union-held Alexandria to seek freedom and protection. A memorial is in progress.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 1001 South Washington Street, Alexandria, Alexandria, 22314
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Dept. Transportation City of Alexandria
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Contraband