The Johnson House was the home of several generations of the Johnson family, ardent abolitionists whose Quaker beliefs led them to open their home to fleeing slaves. Family accounts recall the night time appearance of runaways who were secreted in the house and than “spirited away” before morning. The house is located in the historic Germantown section of Philadelphia, an anti-slavery stronghold where in 1688 colonial America’s first formal anti-slavery protest was held. The Johnson property, stretching from Wissahickon Creek and along what was then known as Abington Lane, was strategically located between the Schyukill River to the south and Underground Railroad stations in Montgomery County to the north. Johnson family members were founders, leaders and members of no less than forty organizations dedicated to abolition and the welfare of freed blacks, including the Pennsylvania Abolition Society, the Philadelphia Free Produce Association, the Vigilance Committee of Philadelphia, the Junior Anti-Slavery Society of Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania Yearly Meeting of Progressive Friends. These organizations put them in regular contact with Underground activists such as Lucretia Mott, Robert Purvis, and Sojurner Truth and further confirm their roles as leaders of the anti-slavery movement.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 6306 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, 19144
Website: Johnson House
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: The Johnson House Historic Site, Inc.
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Vigilance Committee
UGRR Operatives: Johnson Family,Lucretia Mott,Robert Purvis,Sojourner Truth