The Clinton Lake Museum opened May 1, 1983. It is leased to the Clinton Lake Historical Society from the U.S. Corps of Engineers. The society operates the museum from May 1 though October of each year. it is open to the public each weekend from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Sundays, holidays, and by special request for other times. The purpose of the museum is to preserve and interpret the history of the several extinct and extant villages and communities in the Clinton Lake vicinity. In 1854, the area around the museum, the Wakarusa Valley, was settled by many people who believed that slavery was wrong. This area is historically known as the home of the Bloomington Guards, the Underground Railroad where Quaker abolitionists provided a safe haven, and where many of both races served in the 1st Kansas Colored Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 261 North 851 Diagonal Road, Overbrook, 66524
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Clinton Lake Historical Society
Location Type: Facility