The Milton House Museum is an 1844 stagecoach inn in Milton Wisconsin constructed of lime-mortar and hexagonal in shape. It was built by Milton’s founder, Joseph Goodrich, a staunch abolitionist and member of the Seventh Day Baptist Church. Goodrich also constructed a dirt tunnel between the inn and the 1837 log cabin to the rear of the inn. Goodrich secretly harbored freedom seekers in the cellar of the Milton House using the tunnel as the exit and entrance to the cellar. Here he and his family would provide assistance to the freedom seekers. Goodrich and his family also conducted freedom seekers to other stops as they continued the journey toward the Great Lakes and on to Canada.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 18 South Janesville Street, Milton, 53563
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Milton Historical Society, Inc.
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Joseph Goodrich