Starr Clark and his wife, Harriet Loomis Clark, operated a depot on the underground railroad in the Village of Mexico, Oswego County, New York from late 1832 until the Civil War. The Clarkes welcomed fugitive slaves, provided housing for them either in the Tin Shop, their own home, or in the homes of other antislavery families, arranged schedules for forwarding "the goods", and provided transportation to the next station (west to Oswego, or down the lake to Port Ontario, Cape Vincents, Sacketts Harbor, or points north).
Evidence to support the Clarks’ antislavery position is found in signed petitions, minutes of the Oswego County Antislavery Society, correspondence with other abolitionists, the published account of the fugitive "George", obituaries, and accounts written by direct descendants.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 3250 Main Street, Mexico, 13114
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Eileen Yager
Location Type: Site