The Jackson Homestead, Newton’s Museum and Historical Society, is a well-preserved 1809 Federal-style house on the National Register of Historic Places. Corroborating written reminiscences and oral tradition, preserved in the museum’s collections, provide evidence for the Homestead’s role as a station on the Underground Railroad in the mid-nineteenth century. Members of the Jackson family, including William and his brother Francis, were active participants in the abolition movement in the Boston area. The house was donated to the city of Newton in 1949 by a Jackson descendant and opened as a museum in 1950. As a nationally accredited museum today, the Homestead offers a wide range of public programs and exhibitions including interpretive ongoing and annual programs on the Underground Railroad and abolition. The Jackson Homestead is a site on the National Underground Railroad Millennium Trail and is included in the Library of Congress’ Local Legacies Project as an Underground Railroad site.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 527 Washington Street, Newton, 02458
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: David Cohen
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Ellen Jackson,William Jackson