A railroad station built in 1850 as part of the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, which began in 1838 to connect Baltimore to Philadelphia. The original transportation office and depot, circa 1840 & 1842 were razed in 1850 to build the present station house. Both with and without the aid of employees of the PW&B Railroad, the facilities were used by the General Vigilance Committee Anti-Slavery Society in Philadelphia, as well as other groups and individuals, to escape or aid others in escaping slavery.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 601 President Street, Baltimore, 21202
Contact Information: 410-461-9377 (main phone)
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Maryland Historical Society
Location Type: Site
Freedom Seekers: Charlotte Giles,Frederick Douglass,Harriet Eglin,Henry Box Brown,Jake, Bob, and Stephen Pennington,Joseph G. Johnson,Rachel and Elizabeth Parker,William and Ellen Craft
UGRR Operatives: Frederick Douglass