The Todd House was the home of the Reverend John Todd and was a stop on the Underground Railroad. The Todd House and Tabor, Iowa were a meeting place for many of the leading abolitionists in the United States during the 1850's, such as: John Brown, James Lane, and Samuel Gridley Howe. It was also a stop on the famed Jim Lane trail. The Todd House is one of only four registered stops on the Underground Railroad in Iowa, and it is certified by the National Park Service and the National Register of Historic Places. The Reverend Todd and the colony at Tabor were dedicated to the proposition that everyone including women and people of color deserved an equal opportunity for a college education. They started a college in Tabor that espoused those beliefs. Inside the Todd House is a museum that has many visitors each year especially children on school visits. The Todd house has been featured on Iowa Public Television in connection with educational programs on the Underground Railroad. In 1999, the Todd House started a program of going through all the papers of the Reverend Todd, indexing them and compiling them for future publication and display.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 705 Park St., Tabor, 51653
Website: Todd House
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Tabor Historical Society
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: Rev. Amos Noah Freeman,Reverend John Todd
Religious Denominations: Congregational