Hitchcock House was a station on the Underground Railroad. Built in 1856 by Congregational minister George B. Hitchcock, the house served as a station for fugitive slaves escaping from Missouri, but more important, fugitives escaping from Kansas Territory during the "bleeding Kansas" period found Hitchcock House a place of safety and rest on their way to freedom in Canada.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: 63788 567th Lane, Lewis, 51544
Website: Hitchcock House
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Dennis Sierck
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: George B. Hitchcock
Religious Denominations: Congregational