The Owen Lovejoy Home is an 1838 Greek Revival style building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; it is also one of the best documented Underground Railroad Stations in Illinois. It was the home of the Denham and Lovejoy families for nearly 100 years (1838-1931). Reverend Owen Lovejoy was its most famous resident and occupied the house from 1838-1864. He was an outspoken abolitionist and openly proclaimed his willingness to assist fugitive slaves. His involvement made this house one of the most important stations on the Underground Railroad in Illinois. The Owen Lovejoy Home now belongs to the City of Princeton and was opened as a museum in 1972. The United States Secretary of the Interior declared the property a National Historic Landmark in 1997.
Visitor Information: Currently open to public.
Location: Route 6 East, Princeton, 61356
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: City of Princeton
Location Type: Site
Religious Denominations: Congregational