Built in 1842 in Putnam, Ohio (now Zanesville), the temple-form Greek Revival house was the residence of prosperous merchant George Guthrie and his wife Sarah and a station on the Underground Railroad. George was a founding member and later served as a trustee of the Putnam Presbyterian Church, which was strongly linked to the abolitionist and Underground Railroad movements and is currently listed in the Network to Freedom. It is documented that George and Sarah, working in concert with George's brothers Austin (whose home is also listed in the Network to Freedom) and Stephen, along with members of the African American community, participated in Underground Railroad activities.
The two-story building with a two-story portico supported by four Tuscan columns is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of Zanesville's Putnam Historic District. The house is currently a private residence and not open to the public, but is featured on tours of the Historic District.
 National Register of Historic Places, Putnam Historic District, Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio, National Register # 75001511, Section 8, pg 3. In 2003, the National Register nomination was amended to include abolition and Underground Railroad as part of its significance. The home is featured on the National Register Travel Itinerary Aboard the Underground Railroad at: http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/underground/oh13.htm
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 521 Woodlawn Avenue, Zanesville, Muskingum, 43701
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Toby Settles
Location Type: Site
UGRR Operatives: George Guthrie,Sarah Guthrie