During the Civil War, the Robert A(llison) Brown House near Harrisonville, Missouri was the site of a raid by Union Soldiers in January, 1862.Members of the 7th Kansas Calvary took several of those enslaved by Brown as contraband. Brown, who owned some fifty slaves, was one of the largest slave owners in Cass County; however, in 1861 he had removed many of them to Texas. As a result when the raid took place there were only two enslaved women, one male and several children present. Those remaining were taken as contrabands into Kansas.
The house, grounds, and slave quarters that comprised the original property still remain. The red brick house in Classic Revival style was built in 1850 by Brown's slaves and survives with minimal alteration. The slave quarters are a one story, faithfully restored red brick building measuring 18 x 72 feet. Of special interest are graphic designs hidden underneath the mantle in the third room. The patterns were recognized by restoration experts from MO DNR as West-African designs.
The property, a private residence, is still owned by direct Brown descendants and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the home can be arranged by contacting the owner through the Cass County Historical Society, 400 East Mechanic, Harrisonville, Missouri 64701, Phone 816.380.4396, Email email@example.com, Website http://casscountyhistoricalsociety.com/
 National Register of Historic Places, Robert A. Brown, Harrisonville, Cass County, Missouri, National Register #70000327.
Visitor Information: Currently not open to public.
Location: 23916 Prettyman Road, Harrisonville, Cass, 64701
National Park Unit: No
Ownership: Carol Prettyman
Location Type: Site
People/Organizations Associated with the site: Robert A. Brown (Owner)
Freedom Seekers: Benjamin Putnam Martin (MO, 1862),Maria Rodgers Martin (MO, 1860)